Club History

On the 6th June 1926, 28 would be Motor Cycle Clubman met at F & H Croft’s Garage in Marshall Street, Yeadon, near Leeds and the Yeadon-Guiseley District Motor Club was formed.  Mr Harry Lamb the Licensee of the Clothiers Arms in Yeadon was approached and agreed to be the Clubs First PRESIDENT.

The Yeadon & DMC was now established and with Head Quarters at the Clothiers Arms we became officially affiliated to the A.C.U. Yorkshire Centre on 22nd March 1927.

The affiliation fees were 1/6p (71/2 pence in new money) per member and yearly subs were five shillings (25p). The Club now having a proper committee and Officials were keen to organise their first Semi Sporting Trial and the route for this eventincluded DobPark and Pockstones Moor.

Mike Hinch and Sue Smith

The next President was Gerald V Williamson of Menston who took Office in 1932 and his hard work during the next nine years built up the activated of the Club. He was sadly killed in 1940 whilst serving with The R.A.F. Our Trials in the 1930′s were three types, MAIN ROAD, SEMI SPORTING, & SPORTING. The course for the MAIN ROAD events were all on tarmac roads at an average speed of 20 mph with penalties given for time, as they run today by Harrogate and Ilkley Motor Clubs who still run these type of events.

SEMI SPORTING TRIALS were held mainly on unmade roads and tracks such as Malham to Arncliffe with sections marked out in roadside ditches etc.  SPORTING TRIALS were such as the SCOTT and the ILKLEY GRAND NATIONAL the latter using Dob Park Splash, West End, Hood Storth, and Denton Moor.

During the 1930′s the Clubs greatest achievement was the winning of the All England National Rally in 1935, we also won it in 1936 and 1937, the ACU allowed us to keep the Trophy. We still have it today, and it can be seen on the Trophy Table at our Annual Dinner Dance and Prize Presentation. The Club President traditionally holds it. Those were the activities of the Club in the 30′s under the leadership of Presidents Harry Lamb (1926) Jimmy Ives (1927/30) Charlie Rothera 1931 and Gerald Williamson (1932/40) with the club first winning the Halifax Shield for the first time (Best performance in the Group Trial in 1936).

Bill Wilkinson – Greeves

During the Second World War Years the Clubs activities were understandably curtailed somewhat but we still managed to hold pedal cycle trials to keep us going.In 1953 we turned our attention besides Trials and Main Road Car Rally’s to SCRAMBLES. In the May of that year we held the CORONATION SCRAMBLE on Yeadon Moor. During the late 50’s we ran many scrambles and in 1960 one of the first televised Scrambles organised by the Club was held again on Yeadon Moor. With a record entry of 99 riders and the Star of the Meeting Arthur Lampkin, it was to be the last event after complaints by near-by residents.Also in 1953 the Club was honoured to take part in the Guiseley Coronation Parade. A cavalcade of Yeadon-Guiseley riders lead the Parade to the Cricket Club with Roger and Mavis Pullein flying a Union Jack from a flag staff fixed to Roger’s Royal Enfield. A gymkhana was then held with club rider Teddy Christian (our Star scrambles rider at the time) jumping through hoops of fire on his motorcycle.Trials entries were very good in 1961 with 124 entries in our Group Sporting Trial over Pockstones and Grassington Moors. (The winner was Bill Wilkinson of Kettlewell).In 1962 our Motor Mag reported that Yeadon Guiseley was now one of the best all round Clubs in the West Yorkshire Group, and ex-members of the defunct Otley Chevin Club then joined us. Trials, Car Events, Social Activities and Rambles, were all well supported.In 1964 Roger Pullein retired after 6 years as Motor Mag Editor and it was reported he would be a hard act to follow. Derrick Smith was still Secretary in 1963 to be followed by Malcolm Fieldhouse.In 1967 a new ladies section was formed with Mrs K Ingham, Mrs Claire Smith, Mrs Gaunt and Mrs Lamb being prominent. In 1968 we ran a Gymkhana (Cars & Bikes) on Cookridge Cricket fields and Gordon Jackson became a Yorkshire Centre Expert.In the early 1970’s D.B Wood, Keith and Adrian Dickinson, Roger Pullein and Malcolm Fieldhouse plus the ever-reliable D.T Smith were the backbone of the Club. The Presidents were Peter Ingham and Malcolm Fieldhouse, towards the end of the 1970’s the Club began to expand under the Presidency of Mike Hinch and in 1979 our first Secretary Mrs Brenda Jones was elected. With Gordon Jackson (Junior Secretary), the Club really began to take off.On the 5th February 1980 the Club became a Limited Company with directors Mike Hinch, John Scarry, Brenda Jones, D.T Smith, Malcolm Fieldhouse, Roger and Adrian Dickinson forming the very first Board.

 In 1982 D.T Smith was elected President in his Seventy Second year having been a Club member since 1932 serving the Club for 50 years. Trials Secretaries were Alistair MacKenzie and Trevor Whitehead and Janet Harrison followed some time later by Sue Smith became our  Secretary.During the early 1990’s the names Lampkin, Crosswaite, Hemingway and Clark began to be prominent in the trials results. We did not realise just what was tocome! To encourage Farmers to enjoy the sport and to hopefully access new land and venues, Mike Hinch formulated Rules for A.T.V. Trials and these were accepted by the A.C.U.  Many events were held with great skill being demonstrated by the local farmers (especially Nidderdale) on a variety of A.T.V. machines.In 1992 Mrs Phyll Stephenson was elected and became a very popular first lady PRESIDENT with, 1997 saw the Club form a CYCLO section under the joint secretaries Karen Luscombe & Heather Jagger. Our first event was run on 23rd June at OTLEY with 23 riders entering. This section that was known as the Yeadon-Guiseley Yorkshire Tykes.  It went from strength to strength and had over 200 members with an age group of 7 years to 50 years and sections to suit all grades of riders.

James Dabill. Podium position day 2 of the British World Championship Round 2012.

At the end of 2001 the Cyclo’s decided to “go it alone”. The decision was made for them to start up on their own under a New Club just for Cyclo calling them selves Tyketrials.1999 saw the increase in TY80’s joining the Club and this continues to the present day with a continual stream of new young riders joining and we have a very strong Small Wheels Section for C and D Class to this day. We have also introduced a Beginners Series at the suggestion of Phyll Stephenson and this also continues to flourish.

To date our Club has over 400 Members and we feel that we cater for all standards and ages of riders.Yeadon Guiseley & District Motor Club Ltd are proud to offer all types of events at all types of venues, from Club to National level, catering for adults and youth.  We can boast that we have over the years produced Champions at World, European and National level, and we continue to support our riders wherever in the World they may be representing Yeadon Guiseley & District Motor Club Ltd.